The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service will host the Central Texas Turf and Pest Control Officer Continuing Education Unit Workshop on September 13 in Hewitt.
They are five Texas Department of Agriculture IPM Continuing Education Units available or five Continuing Education Units for Structural Pest Control Officers.
The program is presented by the AgriLife Extension office in McLennan County and VirKim Inc. It will be held at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6008, 725 Sun Valley Blvd.
If you register before September 8, the cost is $75. After that date the cost is $85 at the door. Checks should be made payable to: VirKim/CEU Workshop and mailed to VirKim Inc., 718 Sun Valley Blvd., Hewitt, Texas, 76643.
The event will begin with on-site registration at 7:30 a.m., with the program from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lunch is included.
Participants can choose from concurrent sessions for their appropriate CEU objective. Attendees must bring their license to the event to receive credits. For more information, call 254-420-2456.
Themes and speakers
The program will begin with an introduction and overview, followed by the following topics and speakers:
- History of Integrated Pest Management Practices, Chrissie Segars, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension Turf Specialist, Dallas.
- Termites and wood-destroying insects, Janet Hurley, Integrated Pest Management Specialist AgriLife Extension, Dallas.
- Programmatic approach to weed control, Segars.
- Common Structural Pests in Texas, Hurley.
- Landscape Plant Diseases in Central Texas, Kevin Ong, Ph.D., Plant Pathologist and Director of Texas Plant Disease Diagnostics LaboratoryBryan-College Station.
- General Laws and Regulations, Don Renchie, Ph.D., AgriLife Extension Pesticide Safety Program Coordinator in the Agricultural and Environmental Safety Unit, Bryan-College Station.
- Lawn and Ornamental Disease Management, Segars.